History

History

Second Baptist Church was first organized in 1906 with 20 charter members. A frame building seating 100 people was constructed on the corner of Fourth and Pierce and was debt free in 1911.

The name of Second Baptist Church was changed to Pierce Street Baptist Church in the late twenties, however, upon completion of the present sanctuary, the name of Second Baptist Church was reclaimed.

The church continued her growth in 1985 with the addition of a multi-purpose Family Life Center.
Across the years the following pastors have served Second Baptist Church: Rev. Burnett, Rev. B. J. Matthews, Rev. Robert Pride, Rev. R. A. Cooper, Rev. J. H. Clouse, Rev. C. E. Griswald, Rev. Pearson, Rev. W. C. Garrett, Rev. A. J. Gross, Rev. Dewey Horton, Rev. Earl Hatchett, Rev. Howard Jones, Rev. Wayland Boyd, and Dr. Charles G. Jones and Wayne Griffin.